Writing: A Daunting Task
July 16, 2021
Since the outbreak of coronavirus, people have been quarantined and have experienced lockdowns to prevent the spread of the virus. Social distancing was also part of the health protocol as well as wearing masks and face shields. Although these days, some are no longer wearing them as the pandemic slows down with vaccination roll out as well as vaccination is available in all parts of the country.
Workers also were forced to work at home for similar aforementioned reasons. As many transactions are done online, such as online shopping and performing workload, more jobs are offered now for online publishing or for online business purposes. With this trend on the rise, more workers who are capable of doing work remotely are getting more in demand.
Technical workers have many opportunities to remotely work as well as other professions that can be done online are also getting more offers from many companies or employers.
On the other hand, technical writers, PR writers, website content writers, and other writing professions are also in demand due to this employment trend. As writers now are getting a more lucrative business, writing skills become more necessary to be able to cope and be more marketable in this profession.
Writing is a productive skill and it could be inherent as well as learned if you have the passion and great interest in it. It is similar to teaching wherein a teacher has to be passionate in the profession and has the dedication to be able to stay longer in the profession.
While teaching can be physically and mentally tiring, writing is stressful even if you are writing alone. Similarly, a writer has to be passionate and has that love for the chosen field. Otherwise, you will not be able to withstand the stress of being a wordsmith, choosing appropriate vocabulary words for a sentence. Writers also suffer from stress when beating a deadline.
This is always true whether you are a new writer or a copywriter, and any kind of writer for that matter. Beating the deadline is such a stressful situation that there should be an adrenaline rush when the deadline is near. Sometimes writers are underpaid compared to the stress they usually get. However, writers like teachers stay as they are not for the financial reward but also the pleasure you get once an article is done perfectly (?).
There are several things you have to know and to have before you can be a writer:
- Dedication, great interest, passion, and the knack for writing should be present and should be inherent in you
- You have to study courses that are relevant to writing, for example, Mass Communication, Developmental Communication, PR, Journalism, AB English, among others. If you have theoretical skills, you will be able to be a responsible writer and knowledgeable about the technicalities of it.
- Armed with a relevant degree, you must able to read more books in English grammar to be able to form sentences, to be familiar with grammar rules, parts of speech, idioms, etc. that would ensure that you are able to write to express your ideas clearly and to be able to be understood by your target audience or your readers.
For example, writing a news article calls for a different writing style. grammar, and vocabulary words compared to writing an advertisement. News writing is more Straightforward while writing ads should have more adjectives to describe a product and motivate the target consumers.
- A writer also knows about sentences, paragraphs, composition, more vocabulary words and idioms to add flavor or captivate your audience with appropriate words.
- Dictionaries and grammar books should always be handy any time to check on the usage; the right grammar rules to follow to be able to write and communicate with your audience well
- A writer should always have the patience to check on the information, facts, data that are relevant to your writing. Checking factual information is a must.
- A writer must also know the different style guides such as APA, Chicago, and MLA styles to be able to be able to get your dream job as a writer
- Reading is a must to be able to train yourself and be familiarized with the different writing styles of professional writers from different publishers. For example, read Time, Newsweek, and Reader’s Digest to be more prolific in writing. Although these news magazines no longer have printed copies, try to download their Apps and read them on yourSmartphone.
By and large, writing although stressful brings joy and fulfillment for a writer if you are really into it. And the more experience you have in the field, the easier it is for you to write and create ideas relevant to the writing task. With these in mind, let the writing begin!
Lastly, I recommend that you acquire one good standing desk from Flexispot for more writing efficiency and productivity. Flexispot is one of the most trusted manufacturing companies in the world for ergonomic home and office furniture. For example, the Height Adjustable Whiteboard Standing Desk is capable of being writing, drawing, or other writing tasks while at the same it can be transformed into a whiteboard presentation board.
It has a dry-erase whiteboard desktop with a smooth surface covered with PET high-gloss film for better writing or drawing experience. It can be cleaned simply with a dry cloth or eraser.
It is also flippable for functional use of transforming it into a whiteboard for presentation purposes using the adjustable handle to select 5 flexible angles (0/60/70/80/90°). Lock the desktop in place once you've found your desired angle for writing, reading, or drawing.
With 3 programmable presets, you can easily save your favorite seated, standing, and under-desk cycling heights. Also, you can see your exact desk height on the energy-efficient LED display, which automatically enters sleep mode to reduce power usage when the desk is stationary. You can also set up convenient activity alerts to remind you to sit or stand at regular intervals or turn the alerts off completely when necessary.
By using this stunning desk, I think you can be a good writer.
We accept articles, stories, and reviews that feature our products. The topics can also include tips on ergonomic, workplace design and how to make a healthy daily routine. If you are interested to collaborate with us, send an email to [email protected].
Find out what's happening in Get motivated and inspired, join our Flexible WFH Community： https://www.facebook.com/groups/flexiblewfh/.