Many people, including both adults and children, like gaming as a leisurely activity. Serious gamers devote a significant amount of time to their sport, developing their heroes and winning in fights in their chosen game. Regrettably, spending so much time sitting at a video game console or computer can negatively affect a person's posture.
Sitting can be harmful to your health, no matter how well you keep your posture. The break from sitting is maybe the most significant aspect of sitting. Long durations of sitting can have negative impacts on a person's body and general health. Therefore, every gamer should take precautions to preserve good posture and well-being while playing.
Considering the amount of time gamers spend sitting, gaming posture is highly crucial. Thankfully, gaming posture is a prevalent topic among gamers. In addition, many health care professionals, organizations, and even players themselves are attempting to raise awareness about the importance of body mechanics while training, live streaming, or competing for long periods. Continue reading if you're unsure about the health impacts of poor posture produced by a lousy gaming setup and how a poor gaming setup is truly harming your health.
Bad posture and extended periods of sitting increase the likelihood of:
- Neck pain
- Lower back pain
- Mouse elbow: Mouse elbow is a condition that affects the tendons that control the wrist and fingers) that attach to the outside (thumb side) of the elbow. The muscles involved are the extensors, which open the hand and bend the wrist back. As the name implies, gamers are much more likely to sustain this injury due to mouse use.
- Upper crossed syndrome: This is a postural mismatch that affects the upper back, shoulders, and scapulae. This problem is frequently caused by extended sitting and is aggravated by bad posture.
- Lower crossed syndrome: Lower crossed syndrome is a postural instability characterized by muscles in the lower back, pelvic, and hip joints.
- Carpal tunnel syndrome: This one is caused by irritation of the median nerve inside the carpal tunnel, located at the base of your hand. Symptoms are likely to arise when the median nerve in this region becomes sensitive to inflammation, pressure, and/or straining.
- Tension-induced headaches
- Deep vein thrombosis
Neck, shoulder, and back pain
If you do not maintain your posture for an extended amount of time, you may experience pain in your neck, shoulders, upper back, and lower back.
You will need suitable ergonomics to help to correct your bad posture. If you overcorrect your posture rapidly to lessen pain, you may hurt your muscles by yanking your shoulders back too far. As a consequence, you may have increased rigidity and tightness in your muscles.
Tilting forward or sitting for an extended period puts pressure on your internal organs, and this can limit how much air you can take into your body as you inhale. This can have a significant impact on your lung's capacity to capture and retain air over time.
Decreased blood circulation
Sitting for hours on end every day is terrible for your health. It not only raises your chances of acquiring various chronic health conditions, but it also raises your likelihood of developing circulation issues. Sitting with bad posture all day makes it challenging for your heart to send blood to your lower limbs. As a result, your lower body does not receive enough oxygen, causing the muscles in your lower legs to feel pretty sore.
When you slouch, you squeeze your digestive organs, and doing so for an extended amount of time might have a severe influence on your metabolism's rate. Unfortunately, it also inhibits your body's capacity to process food, which may lead to irritable bowel syndrome, heartburn, and even obesity.
When you first tend to focus on sitting with good posture, you may notice that your spine is aligned across your entire body. Yet, if you go through most of your everyday tasks without paying attention to your posture, you may increase your odds of misaligning your spine.
Sitting with improper posture increases the likelihood of your body's nerves becoming compressed or pinched. This can result in chronic pain in your neck, back, or legs. Because of the way nerve pain functions, you may not only experience discomfort in one part of your body. The pain from the pinched nerve may spread throughout the rest of the body. For example, you may experience discomfort if a nerve in your neck is squeezed to your shoulder, limbs, and even fingers.
There is yet hope. We have numerous a few suggestions below that will help you overcome your poor gaming setup.
Every avid player needs to set time limitations for themselves. An individual should get up and move around every couple of hours. A brief stroll or simply stretching might have significant health and circulation effects. Therefore, it is critical to set aside time for physical activity.
An awkward chair can drive a person to lose concentration on their game. Therefore, many players prefer chairs that are expressly intended for comfort so that they can spend hours battling through dungeons or leading their squad into combat. A beanbag chair is a popular option for convenience. These chairs provide the ideal support that fits a player's body, allowing them to triumph in their gaming endeavors.
A gaming chair is a style of chair that is created specifically for the comfort of gamers. They are distinguished from conventional office chairs by their high backrest, which is developed to assist the shoulders and upper back. They are also more adaptable: the headrest, back, lumbar support, armrests, and san all be modified for maximum comfort and satisfaction. Below are gaming chairs that you can check with FlexiSpot:
- Gaming Chair with Footrest 8525
- Ergonomic Gaming Chair with Retractable Footrest Ri3476
- Big & Tall Massage Gaming Chair with Footrest
- E-Sports Chair with Headrest and Lumbar Pillows 8521
Back and neck pain can be primarily caused by bad posture. Muscle tension and pinched nerves might also contribute to worse headaches. Working, standing, or sitting can also be more difficult for persons with poor posture. It can have detrimental effects on a person’s health and performance, and as a result, it is critical to take steps to fix posture and prevent bad habits from developing.
- MONITOR HEIGHT AND DISTANCE: The monitor must be positioned correctly to avoid the gamer from gazing upwards or even downwards during games. When in this position for an extended period, this might cause neck pain and headaches. You should elevate the monitor to an appropriate eye level. The screen must never be more than 20 inches away from the user's face. It is recommended that the display be placed around an arm's length away from the player.
- CHAIR HEIGHT: A chair that is too low will cause the person's thighs to not rest flat, while a chair that is too high can cause legs to hang. Both of these scenarios can result in back discomfort, sciatica, and possibly sacroiliac joint dysfunction. Your knees must never be higher than your hips, and your hips must always be higher than your knees.
- ARMRESTS: Your gaming chair's armrests should be adjusted to a 90-degree angle so that your elbows are bent. Instead of resting your arms up on the gaming table, gently put them on the armrests. You can raise your chances of getting carpal tunnel syndrome by exerting too much strain on your forearms when they're propped up on a gaming table.
- BACKREST: A chair's backrest should be set at a 90-135 degree angle. This forces your back into a more upright position. In addition, lumbar support chairs are offered to help maintain the back by giving the appropriate comfort along the spine's curve.
- DESK HEIGHT: Your desk's height should be just high enough to reach the tops of your knees. Your elbows and/or wrists will be pressured to reach the height of the desk if it is excessively high, perhaps leading to mouse elbow or carpal tunnel syndrome. Your gaming desk should also be low enough such that your forearms are parallel to the ground and the table. Bring your chair closer to the desk, so you don't have to hunch forward.
A standing desk lets you to stand, walk, and stretch your legs without interrupting your game. Because your body can mirror your character's movements, gaming from a standing position encourages you to be more immersed and attentive in the game. Standing has been related to increased focus and productivity due to increased blood flow to the brain. As a result, using standing gaming desks or any standing desk for gaming can provide a more engaging experience and even help you play much better. Check these out!:
- Electric Height Adjustable Gaming Desk
- Electric Height Adjustable Gaming Desk
- Ergonomic Gaming Desk with Mouse Pad
Proper nutrition, water, and frequent breaks can also help even the most dedicated players stay healthy and free of pain no matter how long they play their favorite series. Many of the troubles caused by poor posture can be avoided by having the necessary gaming equipment and guidelines for proper sitting. This will make you feel more at ease while playing games, and you won't be as uncomfortable after devoting most of your day playing.