Did you take your vitamins today? Some people are not used to taking vitamins in the form of tablets or capsules because of the bitter taste or size such as capsules that cause vomiting in some instances. However, we need to take them in other ways to be able to support our health for everyday activities.
“Vitamins are organic substances that are generally classified as either fat-soluble or water-soluble. Fat-soluble vitamins (vitamin A, vitamin D, vitamin E, and vitamin K) dissolve in fat and tend to accumulate in the body. Water-soluble vitamins (vitamin C and the B-complex vitamins, such as vitamin B6, vitamin B12, and folate) must dissolve in water before they can be absorbed by the body, and therefore cannot be stored. Any water-soluble vitamins unused by the body are primarily lost through urine” (https://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/vitamins/).
While minerals are “ inorganic elements present in soil and water, which are absorbed by plants or consumed by animals. While you’re likely familiar with calcium, sodium, and potassium, there is a range of other minerals, including trace minerals (e.g. copper, iodine, and zinc) needed in very small amounts” (retrieved from the same source).
There are certain functions of vitamins and minerals that are worth learning by heart so that you will be able to know which of them are better for your body depending on your body and your lifestyle. It is best to consult your doctor about which vitamins and minerals are more beneficial for you. We have individual differences when it comes to body build, biological or otherwise to consider before we take them.
We can also do away with vitamin or mineral pills when we decide to eat fruits and vegetables rich in vitamins and minerals. Some doctors may prescribe vitamins and minerals in drug form after giving you a thorough physical exam. Others may just tell you that eating vitamin-rich or mineral-rich food is the vitamin itself.
Let us try to find out some of the vitamins and minerals available in the market, their functions, and deficiency which will give you tips when you most need them for intake. (Source: Dr. Palma, R. “The Secrets of Health, Youth and Longevity taken verbatim).
- Folic acid (Folacin Folate) - works for the prevention of anemia and to maintain a healthy nervous system. Symptoms of deficiency include poor memory, apathy, withdrawal, irritability, cracks, and peeling of the lips and corners of the mouth.
- Choline - important for the proper functioning of the liver; it is also essential for growth.It also helps in the fat and protein metabolism. Symptoms of deficiency in humans are unknown.
- Vitamin C (Ascorbic acid) - responsible for the synthesis and maintenance of collagen, a protein like “cement” that supports and holds the body’s tissues and organs together. It is also essential for the absorption of iron and for keeping bones, teeth, and blood cells healthy.
It is also said to lower cholesterol and helps prevent premature aging. It is also anti-stress.Symptoms of deficiency of Vitamin C include shallow or muddy complexion, loss of vigor, tiredness, breathlessness, loss of appetite, anemia, desire for sleep, and fleeting pains in joints and limbs especially legs. Mental symptoms include fatigue, confusion, depression, haggardness, frowning expression
- Vitamin A - vital for good vision, healthy skin, and hair. It is also essential for the development of bones and teeth. It is also said that Vitamin A may help in the prevention of cancer in organs and glands. Symptoms of deficiency include acne, dry, coarse skin, night blindness, itching eyes, inflamed eyelids, and eyeball pain, tooth decay, frequent colds, and sinus trouble.
- Vitamin D - regulates the absorption of calcium and phosphorus. It is also important for strong teeth and bones.Symptoms of Vitamin D deficiency include soft bones, rheumatic pains, and exhaustion, Menopausal symptoms and infantile tetany.
- Vitamin E - it is essential in forming normal blood cells and muscles. It also has anti-thrombotic effect (prevents clot formation). It is claimed to dissolve blood clots, dilates blood vessels, and improves collateral circulation.Symptoms of deficiency are abnormal fat deposits in muscles, restlessness, fatigue, heart disease, growth disturbances, and impotence, among others.
- Calcium - essential for the growth and maintenance of bones, teeth, and muscle tissues. Symptoms of deficiency are cramps, dizziness, numbness, irritation, and convulsions
- Sodium (NA) - It has a major role in the distribution of water in the body. It is concerned with the maintenance of fluid volume in the vessels and tissues. Symptoms of deficiency include hot-weather fatigue, anorexia, muscle cramps, and low blood pressure.
- Potassium - It is essential for muscle contraction and regulation of muscle contractility. Symptoms of deficiency include lack of appetite, mental apathy, muscular weakness
- Zinc (Zn) - believed to be involved in tissue metabolism and tissue repair. It is also necessary for skeletal growth; it is said to be anti-stress
- Iron - (Fe) - it is essential for hemoglobin formation which carries oxygen to all body cells. Deficiency symptoms include anemia, poor memory, dizziness, weakness, hair loss, pale skin, and exhaustion.
Knowing these things, you have the option to take them as prescribed by your doctor or eat those foods that are rich in vitamins and minerals. We are threatened by the coronavirus pandemic that it is really necessary for us to be healthy physically and mentally at all times as much as possible. Aside from eating the right food for our health, complementing them with physical activities such as physical exercise will definitely boost your strength, stronger immune system.
At Flexispot, you can choose to have several fitness machines that enable you to exercise regularly at work or even at home. One of the amazing products available in the AB Foldable Rowing LCL has the powerful rowing mode and abdominal mode.
The rowing mode has two (2) adjustable resistance levels for a more intense workout. It is also a core AB machine rolled into one with a soft and comfortable knee cushion with double orientation (front and back). It also features non-slip foot pedals with large velcro straps to ensure safe footing during intense workouts. Why not own one today!