If you spend a lot of time at the computer, you've likely heard that standing up is an excellent way of making your day somewhat healthier. Sitting for lengthy periods not only affects your posture, but research has shown that the health consequences are comparable to smoking or obesity. Lack of physical activity is now linked to 9 percent of all early deaths worldwide. Recent research has shown that those who exercised but spent most of their time sitting in a chair were more likely to die from diabetes and heart disease.
When used appropriately, a standing desk is an excellent option to the sitting work life you're accustomed to in the workplace. Standing desks, however, are not the cure that everyone promises they are. Standing desks have many advantages, but they also have some disadvantages. Although standing desks come in various sizes and shapes, they are divided into two types: static and adjustable. Most standing desk options now fall into the latter group, but the former still has some attractive solutions.
Height-adjustable standing desks are available in a range of styles. The three most prevalent are as follows:
- Standing desk converters
- Manual height-adjustable standing desk
- Electric height-adjustable standing desk
The standing desk converter option fits nicely on most workstations and allows you to adjust the height of your display and keyboard to enable sat or standing work. These converters often only allow you to alter the surface to one or two heights, making them less versatile than other height-adjustable options. The other two options modify the entire desk surface up and down by a distance of two feet or more. That means you may adjust the work surface to any level between 24 inches above the ground for sitting and 50 inches off the ground for standing by spinning a lever or pressing a button.
If you're serious about making the leap, it's critical to understand how to transition to a standing desk. It is crucial to change positions during the day. You'll notice a difference if you alternate every 30 to 45 minutes. Most people who are locked in one posture will hunch because they are uneasy. These positions can exert strain on your joints all over your body, resulting in stiffness, muscular spasms, or pain.
Discover our favorite picks if you believe you could gain from a standing desk.
At FlexiSpot, we're committed to bringing a healthy motion to the contemporary workplace and home, and we're always looking for new, imaginative ways to be moving in our increasingly sedentary lives.
Best Standing Desk for Cramped Spaces
This standing desk converter fits well in any space, especially if you just got a new standard desk or just didn't want to give up your existing one. A custom-built pneumatic lift mechanism allows for seamless and easy height modification with the squeeze of a lever, allowing you to move from sitting to standing in a jiffy! With an unlimited number of height adjustment points, you can select the most comfortable position for your body height. The 35"x 23.2" smooth surface readily accommodates two monitors while still providing ample space for desk tasks, books, writing tools, and other small supplies. A 34.1-inch-wide U-shaped desktop notch above the keyboard tray allows for convenient use with a 17-inch laptop. It also has a quick-release mechanism that allows you to swiftly and conveniently detach it as necessary.
The Comhar All-in-One Standing Desk is a ground-breaking workstation that is a multifunctional and convenient standing desk. It not only assists in enhancing productivity by keeping you from sitting all day but it's also loaded with functions and has a sleek style that sets it apart. It occupies little floor space while providing one of the most expansive desktops today. A corner, nook, or empty wall is all that is required to fit this standing desk for creating your own home corner office.
- Work and study in style and comfort on a sophisticated tempered glass desktop with curved corners for better comfort, durability, safety, and refinement.
- You can disable the control panel feature by clicking a button so that you are not plagued by unintentional touches from your children or furry pet buddies.
- Comhar was created with the complete family in mind, and it has a wide adjustment span of 28.3" - 47.6" that makes it suited to children's height.
- The anti-collision mechanism protects the desktop by stopping it from being damaged or crushing other items and gadgets while in motion.
- The glass top version makes it ideal for unexpected small shuffleboard games.
Best Sit-Stand Desk
This standing desk is packed with features that you can rely on upon regarding reaping the benefits of using a standing desk and quality and reliability. This comes with an enhanced frame and innovative lifting system that maximizes loading capacity while ensuring optimal stability even at the highest setting. Even with a full weight capacity of 275 lbs, the powerful dual motors allow for a maximum lifting speed of 1.4"/s (EC4). Our innovative keypad offers three memory height configurations and a customizable sit/stand reminder mechanism, as well as an energy-efficient, LED display. You may easily switch positions and receive pleasant alerts when it's time to stand, and all of this may be achieved with the simple press of a button.
You can choose from three different materials or finishes, depending on your taste or interiors: Laminated, solid wood, and bamboo.
Best Standing Desk Partner
The Sit2Go 2-in-1 Fitness Chair delivers an excellently pleasant sitting experience and could be an excellent replacement for your desk chair. This exercise office chair integrates sitting with fitness while developing a better body and guaranteeing that your workout gear does not lay idle for months. Smooth-rolling wheels support the compact, sleek body, making it simple to transport from room to room and inside to outdoors. Its broad height-adjustable range makes it completely compatible with the whole family's varying heights.
Best Low-Cost Sit-Stand Desk
This standing desk is not only cost-effective because it combines modern functionality with a low price, but it has also been demonstrated for its quality and quantity of efficiency. You can now stand and work for as little as $247 without fear of spinal health issues.
Advanced Stable Desk Frames
- Eco (2-Stage): The Eco frame can suit the needs of the great majority of users. You can be confident that the surface will not collapse with the weight of your computer and other equipment. It is a low-cost option that provides excellent value for money.
- Pro (2-Stage): The dual-motor lifting system increases weight capacity, increases lifting speed, and improves stability. It is the best choice for configuring larger and wider desktops, as well as bulkier devices. Suitable for devoted players who want to improve their performance and quality.
- Pro (3-Stage): Engineered to deliver the greatest possible standing desk experience, it boasts a larger height-adjustable span as well as a faster lifting speed. It is an excellent alternative for people who require better adjustability for their body height, such as children and basketball players. The frame is well-suited to various applications, including child learning, live streaming, and intricate handicraft.
This mobile sit-stand desk can be used in place of a traditional desk. Its top surface (23.6" x 20.5") is spacious enough to support even the largest computers and tablets.
- With four caster swivel wheels (2 lockings), you'll have smooth gliding motion, and front leg stoppers will keep your new stand securely in place. It comfortably glides about on wooden or carpeted floors because of its wide casters.
- While drafting, writing, drawing, or reading, tilt the tabletop for a more comfortable working position.
- Stopper keeps your computers, music books, canvases, tablets, and textbooks safe.
- The built-in gas spring system aids in conveniently elevating the workstation platform from 29.3 to 45 inches off the ground. Simply grab the lever to activate the spring lift mechanism, which allows you to raise and lower the desk.
- Using the simple hook on the desk stand, you can keep your backpack, computer bag, or purse with you wherever you move the desk.
- The desk has a lightweight aluminum frame coated in satin pewter for long-term durability and ease of maintenance. It is ideal for professional settings such as offices, art and music studios, libraries, dentists, optometrists, and doctor's offices.
Best Standing Desk That's Worth the Splurge
Nothing surpasses the natural bamboo strip blended into an ergonomic workstation. It is twice as durable as regular wood and includes a lacquer coating to help resist scratches, moisture, and bugs. The uniquely designed streamline of the legs brings an extra aesthetic appeal to your working space, prevents potential injuries, and creates a safer playground for your children and pets. This desk detects and prevents collisions before they happen and locks its height position until you have deactivated it.
- The dual-motor lifting mechanism provides a 275-pound weight capability for all of your desktop requirements.
- The 3-stage frame design allows for better height adjustment capability (23.6 - 49.2").
- The improved structure assures steadiness even at full capacity and maximum setting.
- The legs' uniquely styled streamlining adds an extra aesthetic appeal to your working place.
- The groove conceals the cables beneath the desk, keeping the workstation orderly and secure.
- A clever socket outlet and the two USB ports (type A+C) provide a convenient power source whenever you need it.
Since their introduction about a decade ago, standing desks have gone a long way. Today's alternatives include devices and materials that make standing while working more comfortable. Many can also be simply converted to a conventional desk for work that requires standing up. Others can simply attach to an existing desk to add more height with no bother or expense. Remember that using a standing desk isn't the only way to improve your general health — but it's a start.